Saturday 25 January 2014

Renovation project - The simple things in life

Renovation project - The simple things in life

The weather is bad again, how much can it rain???? We cannot do anymore outside so John does a few bits and pieces around the house, we look at the table and realise that we will need two tables once we are up and running as a B&B.

John checks the wood that we have and we do not have enough to make a table the same size, but now that we have our sideboard we also do not have room for two big tables.

We make a smaller table that fits perfectly next to the table that we already have so that if we have guests they can be put side by side to make one large dining table.


But for now this is going to go in to the kitchen, once there it looks fantastic and we are now in two minds as to whether or not to change this small table into a kitchen island and put some doors on it. But for now we have a kitchen table that is just right for us, it is so nice to be able to sit at the kitchen table for lunch; it really is the simple things in life that make it good.

The new shelves are added to the kitchen wall, this does cause some discussion as I really did not want white walls behind the metal shelves, John knows this and asks me what I want, I want to use some of the metal splash back behind the shelves, he then tells me that this would not look right and goes through every option until I accept the white walls, why the ******** hell does he ask me if he knows what he’s going to do??????

I pop to the supermarket and there is a sale on, I can’t resist buying a couple of little outfits to send back to the grand kids.

I wrap them and go to the post office; the post office in our French village is so different to the post office back in the UK and a word of warning, never go if you are in a rush.

There is one person who works (and who regularly takes little breaks so that nobody is there) and she talks to everybody who comes in, a trip to the post office is more like an outing, it is not quick and nobody rushes, it is also shut for the two hour lunch break, so I have no idea when those who work in France are supposed to use it!

I am getting more and more used to this laid back way of life and I no longer stand in the queue cursing how slow everything is, I now think I could no longer cope with the UK version where everybody rushes and nobody speaks.

John has had a problem with his teeth recently (well it’s actually been on and off for some months, he thinks he has an abscess) and it has now got to the point where it is really troubling him, so we head off to our local dentist only to find that it is no longer there, he has retired!


We call into the tourist office to get an address for another local one, but remember that friends had discussed a dentist in Morlaix that could speak English. We call at Sheila’s to ask for the number and she very kindly offers to call, they have no appointments till March, so she then even more kindly rings around a number of other dentists, but there is no answer, we then realise it’s Monday (Many places in rural France not only shut on Sunday’s but also shut on Mondays!). We give up on the dentist and make a doctor’s appointment for tomorrow to get some antibiotics. Wish us luck!

7 comments:

  1. I often wonder how people who work manage the post office. I'm self employed so I can go anytime. We enjoy our chats and know the ladies in the two offices we use very well. Thursday is the day here for Dentists and Doctors to disappear...

    I like the tables that John made, if the B&B doesn't work perhaps he could become a table maker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha it may be good to have a back up career option!
      I wonder how long it will be before France johns the 7 days a week work ethic? hopefully they won't, now we are used to the laid back style I'd hate to go back to such a hectic life. It really is nice that people still have the time to talk to each other

      Delete
  2. Man, how handy is your man? I may send Mr. CtD round to get lessons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem or we may call over to you, Croatia is definitely on my bucket list :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Daniel, no problem at all I have added your blog to my interesting reads page, just been over to have a look and it looks really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, how's everything with your renovation project? I'd suggest that if you guys are having a hard time in deciding what to do, you can give reliable experts and ask for aid. Anyway, I wish you the best in future projects! Good day!

    Martin Goodwin

    ReplyDelete